- Code STST8102
- Unit Value 12 units
- Offered by Strategic and Defence Studies Centre
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Strategic Studies
- Academic career Postgraduate
- Prof Daniel Marston
- Mode of delivery In Person
Summer Session 2015
See Future Offerings
On satisfying the requirements of this course, students should be able to:
1. Describe and identify the fundamentals of the major concepts on how military operations can achieve political goals;
2. Analyse the making of strategy and identify the role which the nature of political objectives, geostrategic location, strategic culture, and law and ethics have on determining strategic approaches;
3. Apply concepts of strategy to historic, current and hypothetical situations;
4. Conduct research on strategy and critically evaluate historical evidence on strategy;
5. Express themselves clearly and eloquently in a variety of formats, including verbal and written;
6. Demonstrate effective communication skills.
Short Assignment (20%), Essay (40%), Examination (40%)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Teaching will occur intensively across approximately 10 working days. Assessment is scheduled during and after the teaching period as part of the overall program timetabling.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Core reading materials will be available as an e-brick.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Band 1
- Unit value:
- 12 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings and Dates
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery|
|1607||02 Feb 2015||13 Feb 2015||13 Feb 2015||13 Mar 2015||In Person|