- Code STAT7001
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Rsch Sch of Finance, Actuarial Studies & App Stats
- ANU College ANU College of Business and Economics
- Course subject Statistics
- Areas of interest Statistics
- Academic career Postgraduate
- Mr Tao Zou
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2016
See Future Offerings
Statistics 3008/7001 (Applied Statistics) is a course designed for senior undergraduate and research students who need to design experiments and carry out statistical analysis of their data. Emphasis will be placed on the development of statistical concepts and statistical computing, rather than mathematical details. The content covered will be motivated by problem-solving in many diverse areas of application. The topics covered will include regression modelling with emphasis on model formulation, understanding the implication of model assumptions, diagnostic methods for model checking and interpretation, logistic regression for binary variables and binomial counts, log-linear regression for Poisson counts, and exploratory tools for summarising multivariate responses.
Upon successful completion of the requirements for this course, students should have the knowledge and skills to:
• Demonstrate a deep understanding and usage of the statistical computing package R.
• Fit simple and multiple linear regression models and demonstrate model parameters.
• Explain in detail the relationships between a response variable and a covariate or covariates.
• Evaluate and Improve simple and multiple linear regression models based on • Perform diagnostic measures.
• Perform model selection in a multiple linear regression modelling context.
• Perform logistic and Poisson log-linear regression models.
• Demonstrate multivariate analyses techniques and the bootstrap.
See the course outline on the College courses page. Outlines are uploaded as they become available.
- Assignments, 30%
- Final Exam 70%
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
10 hours / week
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Band 2
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings and Dates
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery|
|8706||18 Jul 2016||29 Jul 2016||31 Aug 2016||28 Oct 2016||In Person|