- Length 1.5 year full-time
- Minimum 72 Units
- Academic plan 7829XMMDS
- CRICOS code NO CRICOS
- Academic contact
The Masters of Military and Defence Studies is offered in conjunction with the Australian Command and Staff Course (Joint) at the Australian Command and Staff College. It is designed to give students a thorough understanding of the following areas of practice:
- Strategy and Operations;
- Australian Defence Policy;
- Military Operations, Leadership and Command; or
- Australia and the Use of Force
Entry is restricted to students who are posted as course members to the Australian Command and Staff College
Graduates from ANU have been rated as Australia's most employable graduates and among the most sought after by employers worldwide.
The latest Global Employability University Ranking, published by the Times Higher Education, rated ANU as Australia's top university for getting a job for the fourth year in a row.
Upon successful completion, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate specialised knowledge and specialised cognitive skills in Military and Defence Studies, with an integrated understanding of the conduct of military operations, its relation to government policy, and military capability.
- Be able to analyse critically, reflect on and synthesise complex information relating to the conduct of military operations, research and apply established theories and concepts and exercise expert judgement in military, defence or policy contexts.
An AQF Level 7 or 8 qualification or international equivalent in a cognate discipline
All applicants must meet the University's English Language Admission Requirements for Students
This degree is only open to selected personnel who have been posted to the Australian Command and Staff College.
Domestic Tuition Fees (DTF)
For more information see: http://www.anu.edu.au/students/program-administration/costs-fees
- Annual indicative fee for international students
ANU offers a wide range of scholarships to students to assist with the cost of their studies.
Eligibility to apply for ANU scholarships varies depending on the specifics of the scholarship and can be categorised by the type of student you are. Specific scholarship application process information is included in the relevant scholarship listing.
For further information see the Scholarships website.
The Master of Military and Defence Studies requires the completion of 72 units, which must consist of:
72 units from completion of courses from the following list:
STST8100 Australian Foreign and Defence Policy
STST8101 Australia’s Strategic Environment
STST8104 Operations II
STST8105 Operations III
STST8106 Operations I
STST8107 International Law and Operations
STST8108 Special Topic in Military and Defence Studies
STST8117 Leadership and Command
STST8119 Australian Capability and Defence Organisation