- Code COMP7240
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Computer Science
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Course subject Computer Science
- Academic career Postgraduate
- Dr Qing Wang
- Mode of delivery In Person
Summer Session 2017
See Future Offerings
This course is an introduction to database concepts and the general skills for designing and using databases, with a focus on relational database concepts and techniques. Current industry developments of database systems such as NoSQL databases will be introduced at the end of the course.
- Interpret and explain the basic concepts of the relational model and understand its mathematical foundation,
- Apply SQL language to define, query and manipulate a relational database,
- Apply conceptual database modelling methods such as entity-relationship model to design a relational database,
- Research, justify and apply database design methods on functional dependencies and normal forms to evaluate the quality of a relational database design,
- Interpret and discuss query processing and optimisation, transaction and security management in a relational database management system,
- Reflect upon state of the art of database management systems and big data management challenges.
- Written assignments (35%) - LO 1, 3 to 5
- Online quizzes (5%) - LO 1 to 5
- SQL assignment (10%) - LO 2
- Final examination (50%) - LO 1 to 6
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Band 2
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings and Dates
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery|
|1751||16 Jan 2017||20 Jan 2017||03 Feb 2017||17 Mar 2017||In Person|