- Code ENGN4516
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Engineering
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Course subject Engineering
- Areas of interest Engineering, Renewable Energy, Sustainable Engineering
Learning Outcomes1. Explain the current status of global available energy resources and assess their trends and potential.
2. Calculate energy conversion efficiencies for fossil fuels and all proposed renewable energy technologies.
3. Describe for each technology the size of the technical resource, capacity for integration with the grid, costs and broader contextual issues.
4. Calculate the levelised cost of electricity for any energy technology, and explain the caveats of the method.
5. Develop the ability to ask insightful open questions, with an emphasis on quantifiability, normalised numbers, and the use of appropriate units
6. Explain the interaction between energy sources, energy efficiency measures, storage technologies and present/future demand patterns of electricity.
7. Develop a personal, quantified, well-argued view of possible energy futures.
Professional Skills Mapping:
Mapping of Learning Outcomes to Assessment and Professional Competencies
Major project (40% total)
Questions Portfolio (20%)
Letter to Minister (10%)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Band 2
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings and Dates
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery|
|7809||23 Jul 2018||30 Jul 2018||31 Aug 2018||26 Oct 2018||In Person|