- Code PHIL3071
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Philosophy
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Philosophy
- Areas of interest Philosophy
- Academic career Undergraduate
- AsPr Fiona Jenkins
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2018
See Future Offerings
This course offers an advanced approach to continental philosophy, suitable for students who have a background in this area, and who may be interested in continuing into 4th year Honours. What is taught will change from year to year.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Show intellectual discrimination - the ability to pick out key points and to construct an argument/interpretation.
- Show a philosophical understanding of the text selected for study in the course, including: appreciation of and ability to engage with the key arguments; awareness of the philosophers and issues this work is responding to; and familiarity with some of the arguments that critics of the work have made.
- Discuss ideas verbally and to engage in interactive dialogue about them.
Short Critical Analysis 1200 words (25%) [Assesses Learning Outcomes 1, 2]
Final essay 3000 words (55%) [Assesses Learning Outcomes 1,2]
Class Presentation 500 words (10%) [Assesses Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3]
Tutorial performance (10%) [Assesses Learning Outcome 3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 24 hours of lectures, and 12 hours of tutorials; and, b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsReadings will be available from course wattle site.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Band 1
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings and Dates
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery|
|9121||23 Jul 2018||30 Jul 2018||31 Aug 2018||26 Oct 2018||In Person|