- Code STST3004
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Strategic and Defence Studies Centre
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Strategic Studies
- Academic career Undergraduate
- Mode of delivery In Person
Advanced undergraduate students are invited to undertake an individual course of reading and research on a topic relating to Asia-Pacific Security. This topic will be identified by the student in consultation with the convener with a view to preparing the student to conduct further research at the Honours or Masters level. Students will meet on a weekly basis with the course convener (or appropriate supervisor) to discuss agreed readings and to prepare an extended research essay on their chosen topic.
Students who successfully complete this course should be able to:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of their chosen topic.
- Define a research topic and develop a research strategy.
- Exhibit the ability to critically read and analyse academic texts.
- Utilise advanced research skills, including through collecting and analysing both primary and secondary resources.
- Have the capacity to make an argument and apply relevant concepts and theories in an extended piece of written work.
- 500 word research proposal 10%
- Two 500 word research reports 20%
- 5,000 word research essay 70%
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
12 one-to-one meetings per individual student per semester
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the Strategic and Defence Studies Centre to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Electronic copies of chosen readings will be provided to each student.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Band 1
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.