- Total units 24 Units
- Minor code RUSS-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
Russian is the language of a major world power and the common language, or lingua franca, of many millions of people in the countries of the former Union of Soviet Socialist Republics. It is the basis of a unique culture of literature, film, drama and opera, and the language of a large body of scientific literature. It is also the language of a large immigrant community in Australia. The Russian minor provides the linguistic grounding on which students may build a familiarity with that rich cultural tradition.
Courses in this minor are offered through ANU, except for two offered through Macquarie University in distance mode. For the purpose of the minor, 3 credit points from Macquarie University is the equivalent to 6 units from ANU.
Students with existing knowledge of Russian can begin at a more advanced level, and the exact sequence of courses depends on the level at which the student begins the minor.
Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- read, comprehend and infer authors' meanings in media such as newspapers, magazines, literary and academic texts written in Russian;
- engage in short conversations in Russian with clarity and accuracy;
texts in Russian with correct script and grammatical structures, and
appropriate vocabulary; and
- identify aspects of Russian-speaking cultures and societies as evident in Russian language texts and other media.
- Bachelor of Art History and Curatorship (BAHCR)
- Bachelor of Arts (BARTS)
- Bachelor of Development Studies (BDEVS)
- Bachelor of European Studies (BEURO)
- Bachelor of International Relations (BIR)
- Bachelor of International Security Studies (BINSS)
- Bachelor of Languages (BLANG)
- Bachelor of Middle Eastern and Central Asian Studies (BMECA)
- Diploma of Languages (ELANG)
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
A maximum of 12 units from completion of courses from the following list:
A minimum of 12 units from completion of courses from the following list:
Through Macquarie University:
RSN250 Intermediate Russian I (3 credit points / 6 units)
RSN255 Intermediate Russian II (3 credit points / 6 units)
A maximum of 6 units from completion of courses from the following list:
POLS2069 Politics in Russia (6 units)Back to the top