- Total units 24 Units
- Specialisation code CEHE-SPEC
- Academic career Postgraduate
The management and protection of cultural and natural environments is a growing area of employment. Our course is grounded in practical and professional issues, contextualized within a critical understanding of cultural heritage policy, management and conservation.
Our staff are world leaders in the heritage field, edit the leading journal in the field and are at the forefront of the Critical Heritage Studies movement. We explore innovative issues such as social inclusion, community engagement, intangible heritage, tourism, Indigenous heritage, digital heritage and multiculturalism amongst others. An active intern program will ensure you are at the cutting edge of heritage practice.
A Cultural and Environmental Heritage specialisation will advance your career in government and private practice in the areas of heritage/land management, specialist environmental and heritage advisory services. It will also provide students with the background necessary to undertake high level interdisciplinary research in this field.
Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- analyse, research, reflect on and synthesise complex approaches to heritage management, relevant public policy and heritage agencies and their relationships to societies
- evaluate significant debates, problems, controversies, concepts and theories pertinent to cultural and environmental heritage management and conservation
- develop critical understanding and engagement with the range of communities of interest in the heritage management process
- communicate and interpret knowledge and ideas to policy makers and to general and specialists heritage audiences
This specialisation requires the completion of 24 units, which must consist of:
12 units from completion of the following compulsory courses:\
12 units from completion of courses from the following list:
HUMN8006 Best Practice in Managing Heritage Places
HUMN8007 Cultural and Environmental Heritage Research Project
HUMN8008 World Rock Art: Global Perspectives on Rock Art Research
HUMN8018 Cultural and Environmental Heritage: Extended Research Project
HUMN8019 World Heritage: conserving cultural heritage values
HUMN8022 Physical Conservation of Historic Heritage Places
HUMN8033 Tourism, Heritage and Globalization
HUMN8037 Culture and Heritage in China Field School
MUSC8004 Internship 1
MUSC8005 Internship 2