- Code DESA2907
- Unit Value 6 units
The aim of this course is to develop skills and knowledge of hand-stitching processes in relation to product or surface design. Focusing on contemporary design outcomes, students will develop technical and conceptual understandings relating to historical and contemporary applications of needlepoint, embroidery and other hand stitching methods. Students will also learn safe working practices and develop an understanding of relevant workplace health and safety (WHS) procedures to fulfil course requirements.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate competency with a range of technical skills in relation to the use of needlepoint, embroidery and other hand stitching techniques as a medium for contemporary design;
- demonstrate creative exploration, experimentation and integration of ideas, materials and techniques, through class and individual projects; and
- apply knowledge of the historical, cultural and theoretical contexts and contemporary practices relevant to hand stitching as a medium for design through development and execution of studio projects and research.
- Portfolio of studio work (80) [LO 1,2,3]
- Journal/documentation/presentation (20) [LO 2,3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks: lectures, tutorials, critiques and supervised studio practice; and
b) 82 hours of independent studio practice, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2619||22 Feb 2021||01 Mar 2021||31 Mar 2021||28 May 2021||In Person||N/A|