- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest European Languages
- Specialisation code GERM-SPEC
- Academic career Postgraduate
- Academic Contact Dr Wesley Lim
ANU is Australia’s leading university in research and teaching of languages. Make the most of your opportunity to learn a new language, or extend your knowledge of a language you already know, while applying to this language the skills of analysis and description that you will master in your degree.
Specialists from the ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences will equip you with critical language learning approaches and an in-depth understanding of how to apply that knowledge. You will be taught by German Studies specialists, linguists and experts in oral, dramatic and textual arts.
This specialisation may advance your career in language-related and cross-cultural work in government and non-government organisations, language technologies or as an independent language practitioner or researcher.
- demonstrate general fluency in oral and written expression as well as in aural and reading comprehension, covering expression in different registers from everyday language use to academic language;
- express themselves orally and in writing in different genres;
- understand key aspects of culture, history, politics and society;
- demonstrate intercultural awareness, including critically comparing and reflecting on cross-cultural differences between German-speaking and Australian cultures and/or their native culture; and
- conduct research on a topic related to German and its associated cultures, and to write an essay on their research outcomes.
This specialisation requires the completion of 24 units, which must consist of:
12 - 24 units from the completion of the following:
GERM6051 German Literature and Culture (6 units)
GERM6052 Max, Nietzsche, Freud (6 units)
GERM6501 German Studies Introduction I (6 units)
GERM6502 German Studies Introduction II (6 units)
GERM6503 German Studies Continuing I (6 units)
GERM6504 German Studies Continuing II (6 units)
GERM6505 German Studies Intermediate I (6 units)
GERM6506 German Studies Intermediate II (6 units)
GERM6507 German Studies - Advanced 1 (6 units)
GERM6508 German Studies: Advanced German 2 (6 units)
A maximum of 12 units from completion of courses from the following list, which must be completed in a German topic:
LANG6001 Translation across Languages: The Translation of Literary Texts (6 units)
LANG6002 Translation across Languages: Specialised Materials (6 units)
LANG8016 Translation Project (6 units)Back to the top