- Code ARTV2908
- Unit Value 6 units
The aim of this course is to explore constructed methods of textiles as mediums for contemporary visual art. Skills, techniques and processes of fibre and mixed media construction are developed and extended through individual projects. The conceptual underpinning of the area is introduced through discussion of historical and contemporary examples. Students will also learn safe working practices and develop an understanding of relevant Workplace Health & Safety procedures to fulfil course requirements.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate a sound understanding of constructed textiles techniques, materials and processes as media for visual expression and design;
- demonstrate creative exploration, experimentation and integration of ideas, materials and techniques, through class and individual projects; and
- apply knowledge of the historical, cultural and theoretical contexts and contemporary practices relevant to constructed textiles as a media for visual arts/design through development and execution of studio projects and research.
- Mid Semester Presentation (5-10 minutes) and Critiques: initial investigations and collaborative weaving (15) [LO 1,2,3]
- Studio Theory Class presentation (5-10 minutes) (15) [LO 1,3]
- Studio Portfolio A: Introduction to loom weaving - Table loom sampler Project (20) [LO 1,2,3]
- Studio Portfolio B: Independent project and research (50) [LO 1,2,3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks: lectures, tutorials, critiques and supervised studio practice; and b) 82 hours of independent studio practice, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5634||26 Jul 2021||02 Aug 2021||31 Aug 2021||29 Oct 2021||In Person||N/A|