- Code ARTV6100
- Unit Value 6 units
Typography is a graduate level elective course that allows graduate students to explore the principles and practices of using text in their visual art practice. A variety of practical techniques are explored, conceptual issues are addressed and occupational health and safety instruction is included.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the techniques, processes and equipment used in handset and computer typography;
- Demonstrate a creative exploration of materials and alternative techniques;
- Apply concepts and techniques to the development of resolved works of art
- Show a critical awareness of historical, conceptual and theoretical contexts;
- Comply with OH&S requirements and procedures.
- 4 hours per week of supervised studio practice and individual and group tutorials and a further 6 hours per week of independent research. Graduate students will have a minimum of four individual tutorials with staff and will need to access material on the course's graduate Wattle site. (null) [LO null]
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks: lectures, tutorials, critiques and supervised studio practice; and b) 82 hours of independent studio practice, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Paul Maravelas, Letterpress Printing: A Manual for Modern Fine Press Printers (Newcastle: Oak Knoll Press, 2005) [686.2 MAR]
Phil Baines: Type and Typography (UK: Libanus Press, 2005) [686.224 BAI]
Herbert Spencer (ed), The Liberated Page (San Francisco: Bedford Press, 1987)
Steven Heller & Mirko Ilic, Handwritten: Expressive Lettering in the Digital Age (UK: Thames & Hudson, 2006)
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7733||27 Jul 2020||03 Aug 2020||31 Aug 2020||30 Oct 2020||In Person||N/A|