- Code ENGN8120
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Engineering
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering Computing & Cybernetics
- Course subject Engineering
- Areas of interest Engineering
- Academic career PGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2023
See Future Offerings
This course introduces a broad range of non-trivial techniques and approaches for modelling and simulation of dynamic engineering systems. Techniques include discrete event models; first- and second-order system models; time, frequency and state space relations; and feedback systems. These concepts are introduced through the modelling of electrical systems, mechanical systems, energy systems, control systems, etc. Modelling software such as ExtendSim, MATLAB or Simulink will be key tools in this course.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Implement a wide range of deterministic and probabilistic system models
- Demonstrate the relationship between different types of system models
- Illustrate simple properties of dynamic systems in both time and frequency domains
- Implement system models in a simulation environment
- Evaluate the appropriate modelling paradigm(s) to describe the dynamic behaviour of real engineering systems
- Quizzes (20) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Major Project (25) [LO 3,4,5]
- Assignments (15) [LO 3,5]
- Exams (40) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
120 hours over the semester including all class workshops, self-directed learning, team-based project-work and individual work.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5411||24 Jul 2023||31 Jul 2023||31 Aug 2023||27 Oct 2023||In Person||N/A|