- Code HIST8027
- Unit Value 12 units
- Offered by School of History
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject History
- Areas of interest History
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr Mark Dawson
- Prof Martin Thomas
- Mode of delivery Online or In Person
Second Semester 2020
See Future Offerings
This course aims to develop students' capacities in historical research and its writing. In particular, it will assist students to undertake a historical research project using primary source materials, and to present their work in a form appropriate to its subject matter, purpose and audience. Through a program of seminars and workshops, each student will formulate an independent research proposal, conduct research using a variety of historical sources, and construct a research output. Students will be invited to reflect on questions of theory, methodology, ethics, audience and presentation in historical research and communication.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- identify, analyse and select from a range of theoretical and historiographical approaches to interpreting the past in designing a methodologically sound historical research proposal;
- locate and interpret a wide variety of primary source materials in libraries and archives;
- locate and evaluate the relevant historiography;
- provide and respond to feedback in the process of identifying and formulating solutions to complex historical questions;
- construct a substantial research-based historical project in a form suitable to its content, stated purpose and target audience;
- Primary Source Evaluation (1500 words): 10% (10) [LO 2]
- Research Project Proposal (1500 words): 10% (10) [LO 1,2,3]
- Research Project Draft Version (4000 words): 30% (30) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Research Project Final Version (6000 words): 50% (50) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
In response to COVID-19, ANU has changed the mode of delivery for all classes in Semester 1 2020 to remote delivery.
Semester 1 Class Summary information (available under the Classes tab) on this publication is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available via Wattle and students should have been advised by the offering College. Find out more information on the University's response to COVID-19 here.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
260 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 24 hours of seminars and 12 hours of workshop and workshop-like activities; and
b) 224 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 12 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8522||27 Jul 2020||03 Aug 2020||31 Aug 2020||30 Oct 2020||In Person||N/A|
|9435||27 Jul 2020||03 Aug 2020||31 Aug 2020||30 Oct 2020||Online||N/A|