- Code MATH2242
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Mathematical Sciences Institute
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Mathematics
- Areas of interest Mathematics, Physics
This course introduces students to basic concepts in differential geometry and topology.
Learning OutcomesOn satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Explain the fundamental concepts of the differential geometry and topology of curves and surfaces.
2. Demonstrate accurate and effective use of fundamental techniques of differential geometry and topology.
3. Acquire geometrical problem-solving and analysis skills which may be applied to diverse situations in mathematics, physics, and engineering.
Indicative AssessmentBiweekly problems sets worth a total of 40% of the final mark (LO 1,2,3). A midterm and final exam, worth 25% and 35% of the final mark, respectively (LO 1,2,3).
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadThree lectures per week and regular workshops.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Indicative Reading ListDifferential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces by Manfredo Do Carmo
Differential Topology by Victor Guillemin and Alan Pollack
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Band 2
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings and Dates
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery|
|8627||22 Jul 2019||29 Jul 2019||31 Aug 2019||25 Oct 2019||In Person|