- Code MATH3343
- Unit Value 6 units
This is a special topics course which introduces students to the key concepts and techniques of:
- First order logic
- Axiomatisation of set theory
- Model theory
- Godel's Incompleteness Theorem.
Note: This is an HPC. It emphasises mathematical rigour and proof.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Explain the fundamental concepts from the foundations of mathematics and its role in modern mathematics and applied contexts.
- Demonstrate accurate and efficient use of logical and set theoretical techniques.
- Demonstrate capacity for mathematical reasoning through analyzing, proving and explaining concepts from the foundations of mathematics.
- Assignments (80) [LO 1,2,3]
- Final Exam (20) [LO 1,2]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadOffered subject to staff availability and student demand. Regular meetings.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.