- Code SPAN6513
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Spanish
- Areas of interest European Languages
- Academic career PGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
This course will analyse in depth a series of current affairs in Spain and Latin America, as well as the impact of world current affairs on the Spanish-speaking world. A set of current and historical topics and their social and historical contexts will be analyzed. The approach will be thematic rather than chronological, but within each topic, a chronology of events needed to understand the present will be explored. Throughout the course students will analyze radio and TV news, as well as material drawn from the Spanish-speaking press. Students will also write and produce their own radio program. An mp3 player with relevant interviews and radio programs on the genres or artists studied through the course will be lent to students.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Source and summarise relevant information from extended sequences of spoken Spanish (including radio programs, radio documentaries and lectures) using the correct grammatical structures and descriptive language.
- Analyse news as cultural texts by using, integrating and applying the relevant ethnographic, political and sociological information contained in the course materials and other sources.
- Present with clarity and confidence and discuss current affairs topics in oral and written form.
- Examine different Spanish varieties as reflected in TV and radio programs, to differentiate the accent, vocabulary and grammar of those varieties.
- Research, select, combine and integrate information relevant to a Spanish current affairs topic and its socio-historical context, and present it in a coherent fashion in both written and spoken form.
Indicative AssessmentTwo examinations, 2 hours each (10% and 30% for a total of 40%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Written assignment, 750-1000 words (5%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Tutorial work (including online work), 750-1000 words [Learning Outcomes 1-5]
Two oral presentations, 20 min and 30-35 min (10% and 15% for a total of 25%) [Learning Outcomes 1-5]
Class performance and participation (10%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 5]
In response to COVID-19, ANU has changed the mode of delivery for all classes in Semester 1 2020 to remote delivery.
Semester 1 Class Summary information (available under the Classes tab) on this publication is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available via Wattle and students should have been advised by the offering College. Find out more information on the University's response to COVID-19 here.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 3 hours of class per week, and
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.