- Code POLS4010
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Politics and International Relations
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Political Science
- Areas of interest International Relations, Political Sciences, International Affairs, Politics
- Academic career UGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
Honours in the School of Politics and International Relations requires two elective 6 unit courses, in addition to the core 12 unit course in Research Training. The contents of this elective course change from year to year, with the School inviting different academic experts to contribute their expertise to Honours teaching. The common feature each year is an advanced seminar with expert researchers as instructors. The course instructs students in advanced research skills required by Honours students. Student numbers are kept small to maximise the impact and benefits for students.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Upon Successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand selected theories in politics and
- Know relevant academic debates over selected theories in politics and international relations
- Apply selected theories to student research projects
- Understand debates over norms and values in politics and
- Understand newly emerging research strategies in politics and international relations
Two Minor research papers: 1000 words each for a total of 2000 words 20% each for a total of 40% (LO 1, 2)
Major research paper: 3000 words 50% (LO 3, 5)
Class participation: 10% (LO 4)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 24 hours of lectures, and 12 hours of tutorials; and, b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Completion of a cognate major.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.