- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest European Languages
- Minor code ADHL-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
- Academic Contact Prof Catherine Travis
The Minor in Advanced Hispanic Linguistics is designed to provide students with an opportunity to establish a basic linguistic knowledge of the Spanish language. It is aimed at students who want to raise the level of their Spanish through detailed study of the linguistic aspects of the language. Courses include those that will enhance Spanish language skills (through the study of the sounds and structure of Spanish from a linguistic perspective), and othersthat focus on linguistic features in relation to history, society and culture. ANU is home to leading scholars in Australia in Hispanic Linguistics, and is the only university in Australia to offer Hispanic Linguistic courses in Spanish. The Minor in Advanced Hispanic is an ideal way to take advantage of this expertise.
- Function effectively and confidently in Spanish in a variety of contexts at an advanced level.
- Engage in informed discussions about cultural, social and linguistic aspects of the Hispanic world. Conduct basic analyses of linguistic data based on theoretical concepts.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the rich history of language variation and changeacross the Spanish-speaking world.
- Carry outa research project on an aspect of Spanish linguistics, finding relevant literature and structuring, writing and presenting a comprehensive text in Spanish following the writing and academic conventions of the Spanish-speaking countries
- Understand and use advanced grammatical structures when expressing themselves in oral and written form.
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
6 units from the completion of the following course(s):
LANG3005 - Language and Identity in a European Context (6 units)
LANG2103 - Acquiring Pragmatics of a Second Language (6 units)
SPAN2601 - The Sounds of Spanish (6 units)
SPAN2603 - History of the Spanish language. A linguistic time travel (6 units)
SPAN2604 - Language variation across the Spanish-speaking world (6 units)
SPAN2602 - The Structure of Spanish (6 units)
LANG3004 - Language and Society in Latin America (6 units)
6 units from completion of the following course(s):
|SPAN 3022: Intermed Span II (Lng&Ling)|
|SPAN3031||Advanced Spanish Topics in Language and Linguistics||6|
A maximum of 18 units may come from completion of courses from the following list:
|SPAN 2602: The Structure of Spanish|
|SPAN2603||History of the Spanish language. A linguistic time travel||6|
|SPAN2604||Multilingualism and indigenous peoples in the Americas||6|
|LANG 3004: Lang & Soc in Latin America|
|LANG 3005: Lang and Ident Eur Cont|
|SPAN2601||The Sounds of Spanish||6|
|LANG 2103: Second Language Pragmatics|