- Code CHIN3203
- Unit Value 6 units
This is an advanced level Cantonese course. It focuses on building up students' communication skills in professional contexts and with multi-media materials. Utilising texts from contemporary mass media in Hong Kong, the course also incorporates training in practical translation/interpreting between Cantonese and Mandarin and discussions on social issues and popular culture in Hong Kong.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- demonstrate the further development of their presentation and negotiation skills in Cantonese in professional contexts;
- demonstrate listening skills in Cantonese in professional contexts;
- show that they can compare and translate between Cantonese and Mandarin;
- demonstrate the development of in-depth knowledge and insights on Cantonese popular culture in Hong Kong.
Assessment will be based on
(1) classroom participation and preparation of in-class readings (10%) (LO 2,3,4);
(2) Mid-term oral exam (recorded) (20%) (LO 2) ;
(3) a group project of film dubbing (25%) (LO 2, 3, 4);
(4) an in-class presentation (recorded) (15%) (LO 1, 4); and
(5) Final exam on oral presentation and listening comprehension (recorded) (30%) (LO 1, 2, 3).
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
3 contact hours a week; students are expected to spend at least three hour per week for take-home assignments, preparations for presentations, etc.
Requisite and Incompatibility
The materials will be prepared by the lecturer and uploaded to Wattle before lectures.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Band 1
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings and Dates
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery|
|2653||16 Feb 2015||06 Mar 2015||31 Mar 2015||29 May 2015||In Person|