- Total units 24 Units
- Minor code ASPA-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
- Academic contact
Spanish is a language rich in literature, significant in international affairs and trade and, in the Australian context, a vibrant community language with more than 100,000 speakers. It is the third most spoken language in the world (after Mandarin Chinese and English) and the national language of 22 countries (Spain and most of Central and South America, as well as Equatorial Guinea in Africa). It is also an official language of the European Union and a major second language in the United States.
The Advanced Spanish Studies minor is aimed at students who want to become familiar with the cultural, sociological, political and historical aspects of the Spanish-speaking world. Students can choose from courses in literature and film, society and music, high and popular culture, current affairs, biography/autobiography, and the wide range of uses of the essay in Spanish and Latin American academic and political discourses.
Please note that this minor can only be completed by students who have achieved a minimum level of Spanish proficiency equivalent to the completion of SPAN2501 Spanish 3A Intermediate I. The exact sequence of courses depends on the student's language proficiency when beginning with the minor.
Graduates within the Spanish Studies Minor will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Become familiar with the main historical, social and cultural events that took place in The Hispanic World;
- Discuss complex cultural topics orally and in writing;
- Engage in an informed debate about socio-historical, cultural and literary aspects of the Hispanic world
- analyse and critique a variety of text genres and films in Spanish within the socio-historical and cultural context of Spanish-speaking societies.
- Develop critical skills in the formal analysis of literary texts, films and Spanish essays
- Conduct a research project or a long written biography in Spanish, finding relevant literature and structuring, writing and presenting a comprehensive text in Spanish following the writing and academic conventions of the Spanish-speaking countries
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
24 units from completion of the following course(s):
|SPAN2102||CULTURA, cultura, kultura, Spanish Language and Culture Workshop 2B||6|
|SPAN2100||Living Hispanic Language||6|
|SPAN3100||Current Affairs in the Spanish-speaking World||6|
|SPAN2601||The Sounds of Spanish||6|
|SPAN2602||The Structure of Spanish||6|
|SPAN2603||History of the Spanish language. A linguistic time travel||6|
|SPAN2604||Language variation across the Spanish-speaking world||6|