Focus on developing your creativity and practical skills with a degree designed for the digital age.
The Master of Digital Arts offers a mixture of theory and elective courses in key areas of digital media such as digital video, 3D computer animation, digital compositing, interactivity, coding, the Internet, sound, and hybrid media. A visual effects specialisation is also available. As a digital arts student you will have access to the cutting-edge facilities at the ANU School of Art.
ANU provides you with more choice for your entrance score by offering the new Flexible Double Degree program.
The ANU Flexible Double Degree lets you build skills for your chosen career without forfeiting your passion. It's your choice to build a double degree partnership that suits your head and your heart.http://students.anu.edu.au/applications/
NEW program - available for applications commencing from Summer Session, 2015
Employment OpportunitiesA Master of Digital Arts will advance your career as a practising digital artist, or working as a professional in the arts and new media industries. It also prepares you for further study.
Upon successful completion, students will have the skills and knowledge to:
- develop practice-led methodologies through investigation, analysis and synthesis of complex information to plan and execute substantial studio/screen-based creative research projects.
- generate and evaluate complex ideas and concepts at an abstract level using cognitive, technical and creative skills and relate them to their own creative works and to recent developments in the field.
- critically reflect upon and evaluate theoretical, conceptual and aesthetic aspects of creative practice, and apply it in the production of creative works that contribute to new situations in professional practice and to scholarship.
- design and develop creative works that communicate theoretical, aesthetic, conceptual and imaginative propositions to specialist and non-specialist audiences
- complete a major piece of research in the field of digital arts
By transfer from the Master of Digital Arts, with a weighted average mark of at least 70% in the first 72 units of course work attempted as well as the approval of an identified supervisor for the research project/thesis.
If the total number of units attempted exceeds 72 in the same teaching period in which the 72nd unit is attempted, exactly 72 units will be used in the calculation of the weighted average mark with units from the course with the highest mark applied first followed by further units from courses in descending order of marks.
Students will be awarded up to 72 units of course credit for completed courses listed in this Masters (Advanced) degree
All applicants must meet the University’s English Language Admission Requirements for Students
Digital Art, Animation, Fine Arts, Design, Media Arts.
- Annual indicative fee for domestic students
For more information see: http://www.anu.edu.au/students/program-administration/costs-fees
- Annual indicative fee for international students
ANU offers a wide range of scholarships to students to assist with the cost of their studies.
Eligibility to apply for ANU scholarships varies depending on the specifics of the scholarship and can be categorised by the type of student you are. Specific scholarship application process information is included in the relevant scholarship listing.
For further information see the Scholarships website.
The Master of Digital Arts (Advanced) requires completion of 96 units, which must consist of:
24 units from completion of the Visual Effects specialisation
6 units from completion of ARTV8821 Points of View: Independent Creative Art and Media Practice
12 units from completion of courses from the following list:
DART8067 New Media, Innovation and Research I
DART8071 New Media, Innovation and Research II
NEWM6506 Digital Cultures
HIST6233 How the Camera Changed History: A century of photography and cinema
A minimum of 12 units from completion of courses from the following list:
ARTV8038 Studio Practice 6u
ARTV8039 Studio Practice 12u
ARTV8040 Studio Practice 18u
A maximum of 18 units from completion of courses from the following list:
ARTV6002 Physical Computing for the Creative Arts
ARTV6003 Video Art
ARTV6004 Digital Compositing
ARTV6005 Sound Art
ARTV6921 Environment Studio 1
ARTV8300 Visual Arts Studio Masterclass
DART8116 Studio Practice (Visual Effects) 6
DART8117 Studio Practice (Visual Effects) 12
DART8118 Studio Practice (Visual Effects) 18
24 units from completion of THES8105 Thesis