- Code COMP1720
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Computer Science
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Course subject Computer Science
- Areas of interest Digital Arts, Information Technology, Design Arts, Advanced Computing, IT in New Media More...
This course will introduce design and coding in the context of New Media Arts and Interaction. Topics covered may include the nature of New Media Art, Interaction with New Media Art, program organisation, control structures, graphics and audio.
In terms of the modern art world, the computer is not just another medium, it is a whole other range of media. Students will design and experiment to construct interactive works of New Media Art. They will learn how to conceptualise, brainstorm, plan and realise an original interactive work of New Media Art.
The techniques used by computer professionals to visualise and present data are heavily influenced by techniques invented by artists and vice versa. Students will gain an appreciation of good visual and interactive design.
After successful completion of COMP1720, students should be able to:
- Design, construct and debug small to medium-sized computer programs in a high-level programming language for New Media art.
- Have an appreciation of the artistic process in computer-based New Media.
- Be able to conceptualise, plan and execute an original and creative work of New Media art.
- To have an appreciation of visual and physical interaction at a New Media interface.
- Assignments (50%)
- Quizes (20%)
- Final Exam (30%)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Thirty one-hour lectures and ten two-hour laboratory sessions
Daniel Shiffman: Learning Processing - A Beginner's Guide to Programming Images, Animation, and Interaction (Morgan Kaufmann). ISBN-13: 9780123736024?
Areas of Interest
- Digital Arts
- Information Technology
- Design Arts
- Advanced Computing
- IT in New Media
- Creative Arts
- Sustainable Engineering
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Band 2
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings and Dates
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery|
|7355||18 Jul 2016||29 Jul 2016||31 Aug 2016||28 Oct 2016||In Person|