- Code ASTR4012
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Areas of interest Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Academic career Undergraduate
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course ASTR8002
The course systematically develops the fundamental equations of gas dynamics including magnetic fields. These equations are then used to study astronomical flows in a number of different environments such as stellar winds, wind-driven bubbles, interstellar shock waves, supernova blast waves, accretion disks and jets. Through the study of these specific examples, the course develops a good general physical and mathematical understanding of the transport of mass, momentum and energy in astrophysics.
On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will:
- Understand the physical and mathematical basis of astronomical flows.
- Develop mathematical and physical skills enabling them to analyze the effects of gravity, pressure forces and magnetic fields on the transport of mass, momentum and energy.
- Develop computational skills relevant to the analysis of astrophysical flows.
Indicative Assessment4 x assignments each worth 25%. Lo 1-3.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload10 hours per week consisting of 4 hours of lectures and tutorials and 6 hours of work on assignments.
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Fluid Mechanics by L.D. Landau & E.M. Lifshitz , Elsevier 2004.
The Physics of Astrophysics, Vol. 2 Gas Dynamics by Frank H Shu, University Science Books.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Band 2
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.