- Code COMP7230
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Computer Science
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Course subject Computer Science
- Academic career Postgraduate
- Dr Armin Haller
- Mode of delivery Online or In Person
Winter Session 2017
See Future Offerings
This course teaches introductory programming within a problem solving framework applicable to data science. The course emphasizes technical programming, data processing, and data manipulation. There is an emphasis on designing and writing correct code. Testing and debugging are seen as integral to the programming enterprise. The course will also teach how to effectively use computational tools for data analysis. It will provide skills for tackling the `messiness' of real-world computer systems, programming languages, and data. The course will be taught using one or more programming languages which are widely applicable to data analytics work.
Upon successful completion of this course students will:
- Critically reflect upon the creative possibilities computation brings to data science
- Research, test, modify and write, small programs in a programming language relevant for data science
- Demonstrate a practical understanding of solutions to data processing problems
- Justify best-practice programming organisation
Students will need to install the following software programs in order to successfully complete this
- Programming assignments (40%) - LO 1 to 3
- Online quizzes (20%) - LO 1 to 4
- Final examination (40%) - LO 1 to 4
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Band 2
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings and Dates
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery|
|6745||07 Aug 2017||11 Aug 2017||25 Aug 2017||06 Oct 2017||In Person|