- Code ENGN8120
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Engineering
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Course subject Engineering
- Areas of interest Engineering
- Academic career Postgraduate
- Dr Lachlan Blackhall
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2017
See Future Offerings
This course introduces a broad range of non-trivial techniques and approaches for modelling and simulation of dynamic engineering systems. Techniques include discrete event models; first- and second-order system models; time, frequency and state space relations; and feedback systems. These concepts are introduced through the modelling of electrical systems, mechanical systems, energy systems, control systems etc. Modelling software such as EXTENDSIM, Matlab and Simulink will be key tools in this course.
After completing this course students will be expected to:
- implement a wide range of deterministic and probabilistic system models.
- demonstrate the relationship between discrete and continuous systems.
- illustrate simple properties of dynamic systems in both time and frequency domains.
- implement system models in Matlab.
- evaluate the appropriate modelling paradigm(s) to describe behaviour of real engineering systems.
Professional Skills Mapping
Mapping of Learning Outcomes to Assessment and Professional Competencies
Assignments (7x5% = 35%), major project (35%), and a final exam (30%).
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
100 hrs of which 35 hrs will be formally facilitated either online or face to face.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Band 2
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings and Dates
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery|
|8305||24 Jul 2017||31 Jul 2017||31 Aug 2017||27 Oct 2017||In Person|