• Offered by School of Culture History and Language
  • ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
  • Course subject Asian Studies
  • Areas of interest Non Language Asian Studies
  • Academic career UGRD
  • Mode of delivery In Person
India and 'Modernity': concepts and issues in South Asia from the 18th to the 21st centuries (ASIA2061)
This course introduces students to i) great issues and events in India from the British ascendancy in the mid-18th century until today and ii) the ways in which the 'modern' world has created knowledge and compartmentalized it into 'disciplines', such as 'history', 'anthropology' and 'religious studies'. The course looks at selected events and problems to see how British rulers wrote 'Indian history' and studied Indian religions, beginning in the 1780s and coming down to India's 'history wars' and religious conflicts of the 21st century. It also examines how administrative needs helped to shape 'the discipline of anthropology' and how this process became an important factor in colonial policy-making and in attempts to achieve economic development after independence.

Indicative Assessment

Tutorial quizzes, worth 25% of the total mark. A one-hour class test at the end of the course, worth 25% of the total mark. The option of an Essay Plan, worth 10% of the total mark and an Essay, worth 40% OR an Essay alone, worth 50%

The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.

Requisite and Incompatibility

To enrol in this course you must have successfully completed 36 units of any courses.

Preliminary Reading

William Dalrymple, The Last Mughal, Bloomsbury Paperbacks, 2007

Sunil Khilnani, The Idea of India, New York: Farrar Straus Giroux, 1997; 2nd ed., New Delhi: Penguin Books, 2004






Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.  

If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Students continuing in their current program of study will have their tuition fees indexed annually from the year in which you commenced your program. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.

Student Contribution Band:
Unit value:
6 units

If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.  Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.

6.00 0.12500
Domestic fee paying students
Year Fee Description
1994-2003 $1164
2014 $2478
2013 $2472
2012 $2472
2011 $2424
2010 $2358
2009 $2286
2008 $2286
2007 $2286
2006 $2190
2005 $2190
2004 $1926
International fee paying students
Year Fee
1994-2003 $2574
2014 $3246
2013 $3240
2012 $3240
2011 $3240
2010 $3240
2009 $3240
2008 $3240
2007 $3240
2006 $3240
2005 $3234
2004 $2916
Note: Please note that fee information is for current year only.

Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links

ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.

There are no current offerings for this course.

Responsible Officer: Registrar, Student Administration / Page Contact: Website Administrator / Frequently Asked Questions