- Code MATH3342
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Department of Mathematics
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Mathematics
- Areas of interest Mathematics
This is a special topics course which introduces students to the key concepts and techniques of Differential Geometry. Possible topics include:
Surfaces in Euclidean space, general differentiable manifolds, tangent spaces and vector fields, differential forms, Riemannian manifolds, Gauss-Bonnet theorem.
Note: This is an Honours Pathway course. It emphasises mathematical rigour and proof and develops the fundamental ideas of differential geometry from an abstract viewpoint.
On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Explain the concepts and language of differential geometry and its role in modern mathematics
2. Analyse and solve complex problems using appropriate techniques from differential geometry with mathematical rigour
3. Apply problem-solving with differential geometry to diverse situations in physics, engineering or other mathematical contexts
4 written assignments involving problem-solving, proofs of theorems and extension of theory (25% each; LO 1, 2, 3)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
36 lectures and tutorials by arrangement.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Students continuing in their current program of study will have their tuition fees indexed annually from the year in which you commenced your program. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Band 2
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings and Dates
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery|
|3329||17 Feb 2014||07 Mar 2014||31 Mar 2014||30 May 2014||In Person|