This course offers a variety of ensemble performance experiences in music. Students negotiate an individual learning contract in which they typically contribute to two of the ensembles or performance events active at the time; or take a single event more intensively (such as a solo role in an opera); or negotiate a contract involving the participation in non-ANU ensembles.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. demonstrate a high-level understanding of techniques, practice habits, musical and stylistic knowledge in the chosen ensembles;
2. demonstrate developed generic abilities in ensemble performance, listening, and interpretation.
3. demonstrate effective use of team skills and leadership as appropriate;
Indicative AssessmentStudents will be assessed on preparation, participation, performance and presentation in the ensemble of which they are members. An indicative assessment would be
- contribution as a performer to ten two-hour rehearsals of Ensemble A (20%) [LO 1, 2, 3]
- contribution as a performer to ten two-hour rehearsals of Ensemble B (20%) [LO 1, 2, 3]
- assessment of performance as member of Ensemble A (20%) [LO 1, 2, 3]
- assessment of performance as member of Ensemble B (20%) [LO 1, 2, 3]
- reflective journal or blog of c.1000 words (20%) [LO 2, 3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadAverage contact time 2 hours per week per ensemble, for a total group contact time of c.50 hours for the course including rehearsals and concerts. There usually be a further 80 hours individual practice to complete the course, for a total learning time of 130 hours. There will be fixed rehearsal times for some ensembles; others will rehearse intensively prior to performance. Students are cautioned to check the detailed timetables for the ensembles they will be participating in prior to confirming their enrolment.
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the School of Music to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Assumed KnowledgeAudition required for some ensembles
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Students continuing in their current program of study will have their tuition fees indexed annually from the year in which you commenced your program. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|9037||21 Jul 2014||01 Aug 2014||31 Aug 2014||30 Oct 2014||In Person||N/A|