- Code ENGN2217
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Engineering
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Course subject Engineering
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Shankar Kalyanasundaram
- Mode of delivery In Person
First Semester 2014
See Future Offerings
This course covers the elements of mechanics of materials, experimental mechanics and design of space frames using commercial Finite Element Software. Topics covered include equilibrium of deformable body, Concepts of stress and strain, Mechanical properties of materials, Axial loading, thermal stress, Torsional loading, Bending behaviour, stress concentrations, Transverse shear loading, combined loadings, stress transformation, deflection of beams and shafts, statically indeterminate problems and buckling of columns. Experimental Mechanics laboratories include usage of strain gauges and photo-elastic stress measurements.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- be familiar with the fundamental concepts of the mechanical behaviour of materials and structures
- be able to undertake practical experiments that demonstrate these concepts
- be able to demonstrate the skills required to design and analyse a mechanical structure
- Experimental Laboratory report (15%)
- Problem Sets (15%)
- Design Problems report (15%)
- Mid semester exam (10%)
- Final Exam (45%)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
- 4 x 1hr lectures per week
- 1 x 1hr tutorial per week (starting week 3)
- 3 x 3hr laboratories (over the semester)
Requisite and Incompatibility
Mechanics of Materials - R.C Hibbeler, SI Edition
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Students continuing in their current program of study will have their tuition fees indexed annually from the year in which you commenced your program. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3882||17 Feb 2014||07 Mar 2014||31 Mar 2014||30 May 2014||In Person||N/A|