- Code NSPO8006
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by ANU National Security College
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject National Security Policy
- Areas of interest Australian Studies, International Relations, Policy Studies, Political Sciences
- Academic career PGRD
- Michael L'Estrange
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2014
See Future Offerings
This course examines the structures, processes, actors and norms of Australia's national security policymaking system. The central subject matter of the course includes: the purposes of national security policymaking; Australia’s national security policymaking architecture; actors and interests in the national security community; practical aspects of national security policymaking including strategy planning and implementation; the role of the private sector, interest groups, the media and academia/think tanks in national security policymaking; leadership in the national security community; national security policymaking in comparable benchmark countries; and the future of national security policymaking in Australia.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Critically analyse Australia’s national security community
- Demonstrate an understanding of contemporary issues concerning policymaking processes in the national security community
- Analyse concepts related to planning and implementation in a national security context
- Conduct independent research and understand aspects of professional practice within national security agencies
- Acquire highly developed oral and written communication skills
Other InformationClass Timetable
National Security College
GJ Yeend Wing (Crawford Bldg #132a)
1 Lennox Crossing
Five additional tutorials at times to be confirmed.
- Short Essay - 1,500 words, 30%
- Research Assignment - 3,000 words, 40%
- Take-home Exam - 30%
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
One three-hour seminar per week (over 13 weeks) with the expectation of a further seven hours per week of independent study. (Five one-hour tutorials will also be offered throughout the semester.)
Requisite and Incompatibility
Course reading list and guide to library resources.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Students continuing in their current program of study will have their tuition fees indexed annually from the year in which you commenced your program. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8248||21 Jul 2014||08 Aug 2014||31 Aug 2014||30 Oct 2014||In Person||N/A|