- Code ANTH6025
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Archaeology and Anthropology
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Anthropology
- Areas of interest Anthropology
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On completion of this course, students will have gained the following:
- An understanding of the diversity of knowledges and practices pertaining to sex/gender found throughout the world;
- The analytic and critical skills necessary to interrogate and deconstruct assumptions about sex/gender found in contemporary western societies (including Australia);
- A grasp of key issues in the anthropology of gender, including the relationship between race and gender, the role of colonialism and neo-colonialism in the creation of gender categories, the ethnocentricity of the concept of ‘oppression', and the problems associated with the categories of ‘man' and ‘woman';
- The ability to analyse, from different cultural perspectives, a range of gendered practices including rape, prostitution, veiling, clitoridectomy and the third sex;
- The skills required to write a lengthy research essay in the field of the anthropology of gender.
Indicative AssessmentBy negotiation: 6,000 words
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadTwo hours of lectures and one hour of tutorial per week.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3263||16 Feb 2015||06 Mar 2015||31 Mar 2015||29 May 2015||In Person||N/A|