This course is the further written component of a one-year intensive beginners program in Modern Standard Chinese.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
On the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Deploy a working vocabulary of approximately 700 words (Including those learned in Modern Chinese 1B);
2. Recognise and write in correct stroke order ALL the characters covered in the main lessons, and to recognise those in the supplementary word list;
3. Apply the basic grammatical rules that govern word order and the basic patterns of sentence structure in Chinese;
4. Demonstrate a better and more accurate pronunciation with correct tones;
5. Recognise and comprehend audio input in elementary Chinese;
6. Display a deeper knowledge and understanding of Chinese culture.
1. 2 in-class written quizzes: 20%
2. 10 weekly workbook exercises: 20%
3. Mid-semester exam: 20%
4. Class and tutorial attendance: 10%
5. Final exam: 30%
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Five contact hours per week, consisting of two lectures and three tutorials.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsNew Practical Chinese Reader, Textbook 1 & 2, Workbook 1 & 2 (Beijing: Beijing Language and Culture University Press 2010).
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2224||20 Jul 2015||07 Aug 2015||31 Aug 2015||30 Oct 2015||In Person||N/A|