- Code CHIN3202
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Chinese
- Areas of interest Asian Languages
- Academic career UGRD
- Xiao Min Yu
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2015
See Future Offerings
This course is a continuation of the work of Cantonese A. It is designed to train students to acquire speaking and listening comprehension skills to an advanced level. Emphasis will be placed on practical conversations for daily use. Reading and listening may include materials about popular culture in Hong Kong and Guangdong. Comparison with Mandarin will also be part of the lectures.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of and ability to interact with Cantonese conversations on practical and social topics;
2. Demonstrate the ability to follow and engage in Cantonese-language presentations on professional topics of personal interest and individual relevance;
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the differences between Cantonese and Mandarin styles in syntax as well as vocabulary;
4. Demonstrate the ability to extrapolate meanings from context;
5. Produce intermediate-level Cantonese-language scripts for role plays;
6. Produce translations from Cantonese into Mandarin and vice versa;
7. Demonstrate the ability to work cooperatively with others in the production and presentation of role plays.
Course conducted subject to enrolments
Oral tests during the semester 60%
Final Exam 40%
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Thirty-three contact hours per semester
Requisite and Incompatibility
Cantonese, Hugh Baker and P.K. Ho, London: Hodder Headline, 2006.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|1627||20 Jul 2015||07 Aug 2015||31 Aug 2015||30 Oct 2015||In Person||N/A|