- Code FREN2021
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject French
- Areas of interest European Languages
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Peter Brown
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2015
See Future Offerings
This special topics course will invite students to reflect critically on French history, society, and culture through analysis of different primary materials, including works of history, literature, and philosophy, as well as film and popular songs. The medium of instruction and assessment will be in French. Specific topics covered will vary.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Critically analyse the primary texts, especially in terms of their aesthetic, linguistic, and sociohistorical elements.
- Compare and contextualize viewpoints in French.
- Formulate, present, and evaluate an original argument in French.
- Engage in critical dialogue with classmates.
The assessment scheme may vary and is linked to the different outcomes depending on the topic. It usually includes an:
- In-class test 50 minutes (25%) [Learning Outcome 1, 2, 4]
- Oral presentation 10 minutes (25%) [Learning Outcome 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
- Essay 2000 words (50%) [Learning Outcome 1, 2, 3, 4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
3 hours of contact hours a week. Students should allow 10 hours study per week including contact hours.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|Adv French Language Skills|
|1923||20 Jul 2015||07 Aug 2015||31 Aug 2015||30 Oct 2015||In Person||N/A|