This course introduces students to the sources of law which define general principles of criminal responsibility, and to a selection of substantive criminal offences and criminal defences as well as to criminal procedure. The substantive offences include assault, sexual assault, murder, manslaughter, and property offences, whilst the criminal defences include provocation and self-defence. Students will be exposed to common law sources as well as legislation and criminal codes where relevant. Key legal theories of the criminal law will also be introduced. The lecture program is supported by interactive seminars that enable students both to engage with the application of legal principles to set fact scenarios and to consider issues of policy and law reform related to the substantive and procedural law that they are studying.
Indicative AssessmentThe means of assessment consists of five compulsory, non-redeemable assessment tasks and a compulsory attendance rule for JD-only Focus Seminars. Failure to submit any of these five compulsory assessment tasks (or to attend any tutorial without approved excuse) will result in a student receiving an NCN Grade (a fail grade due to non-completion) for the entire course. Please note, that an NCN will be awarded even if the task that is not submitted is worth very few of the total marks available for the course.
The five compulsory, non-redeemable assessment tasks are:
1. an online WATTLE quiz on the material relating to criminal responsibility (worth 5% of the final mark for the course)
2. a written take-home examination (worth 15%) and a viva (worth 10%) for a total of 25%of the final mark for the course)
3. a team debate exercise held in the JD-only Focus Seminars (worth 10% of the final mark for the course) and
4. an online WATTLE quiz on the CrimPro material (worth 10% of the final mark for the course, constituting Part A of the compulsory final exam)
5. a formal final examination during the University examination period (worth 50% of the final mark for the course, constituting Part B of the compulsory final exam).
In addition to these five compulsory assessment components, there is a minimum attendance requirement for the Focus Seminars in this course. The penalty for not meeting the minimum attendance requirement is 5%, that is, 5 marks (out of the 100 marks available) will be deducted from the student’s overall mark.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Requisite and Incompatibility
S Bronitt and B McSherry, Principles of Criminal Law (3rd edition, LawBookCo, 2010).
RN Howie and PA Johnson, Annotated
Criminal Legislation New South Wales (2014-2015 edition, Lexis
Nexis Butterworths, 2015).
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class start date
|Last day to enrol
|Class end date
|Mode Of Delivery
|16 Feb 2015
|06 Mar 2015
|31 Mar 2015
|29 May 2015