- Total units 48 Units
- Areas of interest Asian Languages
- Major code URDU-MAJ
- Academic career Undergraduate
Note on Urdu Courses
There are four Urdu courses, Urdu 2A, 2B, 2C and 2D, which were taught in alternate years with the Hindi courses, and were also offered in in-country study mode. These courses are temporarily being rested due to pedagogical and teaching load issues. Pedagogical issues include that the courses called Hindi courses at second and third year levels include Urdu content and should be regarded as Hindi-Urdu courses rather than Hindi courses.
Urdu is the national language of Pakistan and is also spoken in parts of India. It is mutually intelligible with Hindi though they differ in their writing systems and in their higher level vocabulary. Given the mutual intelligibility the combined number of speakers of Urdu and Hindi is the fourth largest in the world. As well as being the key that unlocks a knowledge of modern Pakistani culture and society to the student, an understanding of Urdu in the Perso-Arabic script allows the student access to the largest collection of work on Islamic literature after that in Arabic.
A student may not take a course if that course is a prerequisite for another course which they have already passed.
Students with prior knowledge of the language will be required to take a placement test and may be exempted from the compulsory courses.
By the end of the Urdu language major students should be able to:
- express themselves well in a formal, neutral or informal register, appropriate to the situation and to the people to whom one is speaking.
- read and understand newspapers and other texts in Urdu
- engage with authentic Urdu language media
- write in Urdu in the Perso-Arabic script in the appropriate style using the correct grammar and the vocabulary appropriate the genre, contents and audience
- Write, perform and record presentations or interviews in Urdu either individually or in cooperative groups, and answer questions based on those performances or interviews
The course lists in the "Requirements" section below is a definitive list and includes all courses that can be counted towards the major, whether or not they are offered in the current year. For a list of courses that will be offered in the current year, please see the Summary of Courses page.
This major requires the completion of 48 units, which must include:
12 units from completion of the following course(s):
36 units from completion of the following course(s):
|ASIA2103||Language in Asia (L)||6|
|ASIA3006||Practical Assignment in Asia and the Pacific||6-12|
|HIND1008||Hindi 1A in-country||6|
|HIND1009||Hindi 1B in-country||6|
|HIND2002||Hindi 2 A-B in-country||12|
|HIND3002||Hindi 3 A-B in-country||12|