- Total units 24 Units
- Minor code AITA-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
Italian occupies a special position in Australia as a language of high culture and also a language spoken by one of the largest ethnic communities. Italian is also an official language of the European Union and of Switzerland.
Studying Italian gives access to rich European cultural traditions, from the Renaissance to the present, and to the language of great opera, film, architecture, fashion and industrial design. Critical attention is given to cultural, social and historical aspects of Italy, and also to transcultural studies: Italy outside of Italy and recent migrations to Italy. Students develop language and critiquing skills in fields such as Italian sociolinguistics, cinema, music, gender studies, postcolonial, migration and women’s literature. The development of in-depth cross cultural awareness is thus synchronized with the acquisition of sophisticated language competence which will allow students to study at post / graduate level in Italian universities.
Graduates within the Italian Studies Minor will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Critique historical and cultural events related to Italian and its associated cultures and societies in a cross-cultural perspective
- Engage with authentic media such as Italian news, movies or music by analysing and evaluating their content.
- Identify and differentiate aspects and issues of the cultures and societies associated with the Italian language
- Specialise on particular aspects of Italian culture, music, cinema, literature, art, history and society
- Communicate in academic settings and with proficient Italian speakers
- Read, comprehend and infer authors’ meanings in newspapers, magazines, literary and critical texts written in Italian.
- Write texts in Italian in the appropriate genre, with correct grammatical structures and thematic vocabulary relevant to the level of the student.
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
A minimum of 12 units must come from completion of courses from the following list:
|FILM2009||Postwar Italian Cinema||6|
|ITAL 2009: Literature, History, Cinema|
|ITAL2010||Early Italian Literature from the Sicilian School to the Renaissance||6|
|ITAL 2011: Italian flair:|
|ITAL 2012: Italian for Singers 1|
|ITAL 2013: Italian for Singers 2|
|ITAL 2015: Language of diplomacy in Italy|
|ITAL3010||Politics, Culture and Society in Postwar Italy||6|
|ITAL3014||Women in Italian Society||6|
|ITAL3017||Apocalypse Then: Dante's Inferno||6|
|ITAL 3018: Italiano Standard e Reg|
A maximum of 12 units may come from completion of courses from the following list:
Language Studies (LANG) courses in Italian topicsBack to the top