- Total units 24 Units
- Minor code HIND-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
- Academic contact
Hindi is the primary official language of India, and as such is crucial for a student with a passion for India and its culture and society. India lies just over the horizon of most Australians' perceptions, but the coming rise of this massive nation and its concomitant importance for Australia means that a knowledge of Hindi will be economically invaluable in the very near future.
A student may not take a course if that course is a prerequisite for another course which they have already passed.
Students with prior knowledge of the language will be required to take a placement test.
By the end of the Hindi language major students should be able to:
- express themselves well in a formal or informal register, appropriate to the situation and to the people to whom one is speaking.
- read and understand newspapers and other texts in Hindi
- engage with authentic Hindi language media
- write in Hindi in an appropriate style in the Devanagari script using the correct grammar and the vocabulary appropriate the genre, contents and audience
- Write, perform and record presentations or interviews in Hindi either individually or in cooperative groups, and answer questions based on those performances or interviews
The course lists in the "Requirements" section below is a definitive list and includes all courses that can be counted towards the major, whether or not they are offered in the current year. For a list of courses that will be offered in the current year, please see the Summary of Courses page.
- Bachelor of Art History and Curatorship (BAHCR)
- Bachelor of Arts (BARTS)
- Bachelor of Arts/Master of International Affairs (BARTVMIA)
- Bachelor of Asia-Pacific Studies (Year in Asia) (BAPYA)
- Bachelor of Asian Studies (BASIA)
- Bachelor of Development Studies (BDEVS)
- Bachelor of International Relations (BIR)
- Bachelor of International Security Studies (BINSS)
- Bachelor of Languages (BLANG)
- Bachelor of Pacific Studies (BPAST)
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
24 units from completion of the following course(s):
|HIND1008||Hindi 1A in-country||6|
|HIND1009||Hindi 1B in-country||6|
|HIND2002||Hindi 2 A-B in-country||12|
|HIND3002||Hindi 3 A-B in-country||12|
|HIND2108||Readings in South Asian Cultures||6|
|HIND3108||Advanced Readings in South Asian Cultures||6|
|HIND 3501: Sem Hindi Lang & Lit|