- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Asian Studies, Asia Pacific Studies, Language Studies, Asia-Pacific Studies
- Minor code VIET-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
<iframe width="420" height="235" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g-OrZAui4bE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Vietnamese is the national and official language of Vietnam and is spoken world-wide in the Vietnamese diaspora. In fact it is also the sixth most-spoken language in Australia. Knowledge of the Vietnamese language is indispensable for anyone one wishing to understand Vietnamese culture and society—both in Vietnam and in the diaspora. Given Australia’s close ties with Vietnam since re-unification a knowledge of the language is valued in a wide range of professions, both in Australia and internationally.
A student may not take a course if that course is a prerequisite for another course which they have already passed.
Students with prior knowledge of the language will be required to take a placement test.
By the end of the Vietnamese language major students should be able to:
- express themselves well in a formal or informal register, appropriate to the situation and to the people to whom one is speaking.
- read and understand newspapers and other texts in Vietnamese
- engage with authentic Vietnamese language media
- write in Vietnamese in the appropriate style using the correct grammar and the vocabulary appropriate the genre, contents and audience
- Write, perform and record presentations or interviews in Vietnamese either individually or in cooperative groups, and answer questions based on those performances or interviews
The course lists in the "Requirements" section below is a definitive list and includes all courses that can be counted towards the major, whether or not they are offered in the current year.
- Bachelor of Art History and Curatorship (BAHCR)
- Bachelor of Arts (BARTS)
- Bachelor of Arts/Master of International Affairs (BARTVMIA)
- Bachelor of Asia-Pacific Studies (Year in Asia) (BAPYA)
- Bachelor of Asian Studies (BASIA)
- Bachelor of Development Studies (BDEVS)
- Bachelor of International Relations (BIR)
- Bachelor of International Security Studies (BINSS)
- Bachelor of Languages (BLANG)
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
24 units from completion of the following course(s):
|INDN3004||Readings in Southeast Asian Culture||6|
|INDN3005||Advanced Readings in Southeast Asian Culture||6|
|VIET1006||Vietnamese 1A: In-Country||6|
|VIET1007||Vietnamese 1B: In-Country||6|
|VIET 3004: Vietnamese for Nationals A|
|VIET 3005: Vietnamese for Nationals B|
|VIET3015||English - Vietnamese Translation||6|