- Total units 24 Units
- Specialisation code INLS-SPEC
- Academic career Postgraduate
ANU is Australia’s leading university in research in languages generally and in Indigenous studies Make the most of your opportunity to learn a new language, or extend your knowledge of a language you already know, while applying to this language the skills of analysis and description that you will master in your degree.
Specialists from the ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences will equip you with critical language learning approaches and an in-depth understanding of how to apply that knowledge. You will be taught by specialists in Australian Indigenous languages.
Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate consolidated and extended understanding of comparative grammar and vocabulary across different Indigenous languages;
- demonstrate general fluency in reading comprehension in texts in different registers from simplified texts to foundational texts;
- understand key aspects of society, history, politics and education policy;
- demonstrate approaches and methodologies for critical thinking not only about the Indigenous languages but also the practical consequences of language policies; and
- conduct research on a topic related to Australian Indigenous languages, and to write an essay on their research outcomes.
This specialisation requires the completion of 24 units, which must consist of:
A minimum of 12 units must come from completion of courses from the following list:
|AUST6008||Learning an Indigenous Australian language 1||6|
|AUST6009||Learning an Indigenous Australian language 2||6|
|LING6016||Language in Indigenous Australian Society||6|
A maximum of 12 units may come from completion of courses from the following list:
|ANTH6005||Indigenous Australian Societies and Culture||6|
|HIST6022||Indigenous Australian History||6|
|LANG6001||Translation across Languages: The Translation of Literary Texts||6|
|LANG6002||Translation across Languages: Specialised Materials||6|