This course deals with aspects of Australian art practice from the 1970s tothe present. Where appropriate, examples of international art will be considered to place Australian art within context. The course is issue andobject oriented. Topics include the legacy of art practice of the 1970s, the development of postmodern approaches, the emergence of intercultural concerns, the artistic interchanges between Australia and the Asia/Pacific region, the emergence of urban Aboriginal art, and the significance of the advent of new technologies. Works of art in arange of media,including design and the decorative arts, will be considered.Students are expected to engage critically with contemporary works of art in current exhibitions in Canberra. Visits to the National Gallery of Australia, the National Portrait Gallery, Canberra Contemporary Art Space, CraftACT, the Drill Hall Gallery and other local galleries will be essential. Lectures will comprise amix of sources and approaches; whenever possible, artists/guest speakers will also address the group.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstratespecialist knowledge of selected aspects of contemporary art in Australia
- evaluate and relate developments in contemporary art to contemporary visual culture
- Analyse and interpret works of Australian contemporary art in different media
- Present complex written and oral arguments about contemporary art in Australia.
Indicative Assessment1500 word Tutorial Presentation [30%] (LO's 1 -4)
4500 word Research Essay [60%] (LO's 1 - 4)
Participation [10%] (LO's 1 -4)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadThree hours lectures and tutorials, seven hours independent study per week and three additional tutorial sessions per semester.
Requisite and Incompatibility
- The Cambridge companion to Australian art Anderson, Jaynie Port Melbourne, Vic. ; Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2011
- The new McCulloch's encyclopedia of Australian art McCulloch, Alan Fitzroy, Vic. : Aus Art Editions in association with The Miegunyah Press, 2006
- Kleinert, Sylvia and Margo Neale, (eds.), The Oxford Companion to Aboriginal Art and Culture. Melbourne: Oxford University Press, 2000
- A secret history of Australian art Butler, Rex St Leonards, N.S.W. : Craftsman House Fine Art Publishing, 2002
- Conceptual beauty : perspectives on Australian contemporary art Millner, Jacqueline Woolloomooloo, N.S.W. :Artspace Visual Art Centre, 2010
- Undisclosed : 2nd National Indigenous Art Triennial National Indigenous Art Triennial (2nd : 2012 : Canberra, A.C.T.) Canberra : National Gallery of Australia, 2012
- Murray, Kevin, Craft Unbound: Make the Common Precious. Craftsman House, 2005
- Butler, Rex, What is appropriation? An anthology of critical writings in Australian art in the 80s and 90s.Power Publications and IMA, Sydney, 1996
Assumed KnowledgeNo special skills required.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.