- Code ASTR3007
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Areas of interest Astronomy and Astrophysics
This course will introduce star formation, structure, evolution, element production and thermonuclear reactions, and pulsating stars. The galaxy component will cover, galaxy formation theory, classification, star formation, galaxy interactions, dark matter, black holes and large scale structure of the Universe.
This course can be taken as an HPO, please discuss with course convener.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
For students to gain a broad scientific understanding of the following:
- Formation, structure, evolution and pulsation of stars.
- How are the elements produced in stars and the big bang.
- Observational and physical properties of galaxies.
- The structure of self-gravitating systems of many stars and gas (galaxies).
- Dark matter, baryonic matter and galactic structure.
- Gaining basic computer programming skills and solving problems numerically.
Stars: Two assignments each
15%, third assignment (including computational problems) 20%
Galaxies: Two assignments each 15%, third assignment 20%
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Lectures and Tutorials: three lectures per week.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2665||15 Feb 2016||26 Feb 2016||31 Mar 2016||27 May 2016||In Person||N/A|