- Code CHIN3022
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Chinese
- Areas of interest Asian Languages
This course, with Modern Chinese 6 (CHIN3023), is designed to enable students to reach advanced levels of competence in reading, speaking and writing modern Chinese. A wider range of texts will be read and discussed in Chinese. There will be a study of selected aspects of Chinese grammar.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
By the end of the first semester students should find
1. Overall reading skills significantly improved
2. Improved awareness of the difference between spoken and written styles in Chinese language.
3. Oral proficiency greatly improved through expanding their spoken repertoire from topics of everyday life to more intellectually and linguistically challenging topics such as social issues and current events related to contemporary China.
4. Enhanced knowledge and understanding of contemporary Chinese society and politics.
- In-class tests 5%
- Homework (written exercises at the end of each lesson) 10% (submit every Monday online)
- Online Quiz before Lecture A 10% (submit before every Sunday online)
- Take-home weekly test including essays 10 % (submit in person in Lecture A Monday)
- Three listening and speaking tests (5 marks each) 15% (Week 4, 8, and 13)
- Two written tests. 20% (week 4 and 8)
- Final written exam 30% (ANU examination period)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadFour contact hours a week, consisting of two lectures and two tutorials.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Li, Duanduan & Liu, Irene: Reading into a New China - Integrated Skills for Advanced Chinese«??????»,Vol. I, 3rd Edition, Cheng & Tsui Company, Boston, 2010
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2283||15 Feb 2016||26 Feb 2016||31 Mar 2016||27 May 2016||In Person||N/A|