Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
At the completion of this course it is desired that each student be able to:
1. Develop an understanding on the use the material data obtained from standard mechanical testing methods for structural design applications
2. Analyse the structural response behaviour by breaking the response of structure into axial, bending and torsional deformation modes
3. Design simple connections for use in structural mechanics
4. Develop an understanding of stress concentrations in structures
5. Analyse thermal behaviour of structural members
6. Develop a knowledge of combined loading behaviour in structural systems
7. Design and optimize the design of three dimensional frame structures using finite element analysis
8. Develop an understanding of experimental mechanics techniques through the use of strain gage measurements and photo elastic experiments
Mapping of Learning Outcomes to Assessment and Professional Competencies
1. Mastering engineering assignments – 15%
2. Individual Design Project – 15 %
3. Experimental mechanics laboratory report – 15%
4. Mid semester exam – 10%
5. Final Exam – 45%
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Direct contact includes: 4 lectures/week, 1 hour tutorial/week, Three 3 hour experimental mechanics laboratories. In addition, self-paced learning of FEA software for design project and designing a space frame using FEA software and solving weekly problems using on line mastering system.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Mechanics of Materials - R.C Hibbeler, Seventh SI Edition
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3154||15 Feb 2016||26 Feb 2016||31 Mar 2016||27 May 2016||In Person||N/A|