- Code FINM8009
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Rsch Sch of Finance, Actuarial Studies & App Stats
- ANU College ANU College of Business and Economics
- Course subject Financial Management
- Areas of interest Finance
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr Kin-Yip Ho
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2016
See Future Offerings
This course covers the design, use, and pricing of derivative instruments and reviews their role in risk management. Students learn a range of analytical methods, apply these techniques with market data, and communicate their findings to others.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Upon successful completion of the requirements for this course, students are expected to
have attained proficiency in the following areas:
- Understanding of the motives, reasons and explanations for corporate hedging activity
- Knowledge of key financial building blocks, used in constructing complex derivative instruments (eg futures, forwards, options and swaps)
- Analysis of payoffs and strategies involved in trading derivative instruments and combinations of derivatives
- Application of the pricing of individual and combinations of derivative securities
- Use and benefits of derivatives in a portfolio context.
See the course outline on the College courses page. Outlines are uploaded as they become available.
May include in class assessment, case studies and assignments
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
10 hours per week for 13 weeks = 130 hours
Requisite and Incompatibility
Advanced courses in corporate finance, investments, financial intermediation and markets.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7609||18 Jul 2016||29 Jul 2016||31 Aug 2016||28 Oct 2016||In Person||N/A|