- Code GERM3020
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject German
- Areas of interest European Languages, International Relations, European Studies, Language Studies
- Academic career UGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
The primary focus will be the Federal Republic of Germany present and past, but the course will also include the former German Democratic Republic, Austria and Switzerland. The German situation today will be approached via discussion of major social, political and cultural issues. At the same time, changes in everyday lifestyles, traditions and values (ecology, peace, the women's movement) will not be neglected.In using target- language materials, this course provides an invaluable complement to European Studies and IR.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- analyse and critique German-speaking societies via written and visual texts.
- have an understanding of current affairs in German-speaking societies, and of world events from a European perspective,
- combine this acquired ‘insider' perspective with your own as an informed outsider.
- further develop generic skills, e.g., critical thinking, written and oral communication, research, teamwork.
- a 10-15 minutes' oral presentation, incl. a 300-word written summary (25%) [LOs 1,2,3,4];
- an 1800-2000 word essay (40%) [LOs 1,2,3,4];
- an in-class test (25%) [LOs 1,2,3,4];
- culturally informed and linguistically engaged participation in seminars and tutorials (10%) [LOs 1,2,3,4]
Workload2.5 contact hoursper week plus approximately 7.5 hours of regular work per week outside class.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsRenate Luscher, Landeskunde Deutschland: Von der Wende bis heute (latest edition).
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units