- Code INTR8072
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Department of International Relations
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject International Relations
- Academic career PGRD
- Prof Lorraine Elliott
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2016
See Future Offerings
The aims of this course are:
- to introduce students to the practice and challenges of research design international relations
- to familiarize students with methods of investigation, data gathering and analysis
- to demonstrate research methods through a critical investigation of case studies and relevant literature
- to encourage students to develop critical analytical and evaluative skills
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Students who engage fully and successfully with this course will be able to:
1. demonstrate a sound knowledge and a critical understanding of research design and methods
2. apply that knowledge to the development of a research proposal and plan
3. communicate their critical understanding of research design and methods in a clear and concise way through a series of assignments and participation in seminars
The course is conducted through lectures and tutorials with an emphasis on interactive teaching aimed at engaging all students in active participation.
Literature Review; A critical review of the required readings for any week
chosen from weeks 2 to 6. 1000 words maximum. 15%.
Practicum Paper; Maximum 2000 words 35%. .
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
One hour lecture and one hour tutorial per week, plus 8-10 hours of independent study
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the Department of International Relations to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Prescribed readings will be provide via Wattle
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8896||18 Jul 2016||29 Jul 2016||31 Aug 2016||28 Oct 2016||In Person||N/A|