- Code ITAL3017
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Italian
- Areas of interest European Languages
- Academic career UGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
The course aims to familiarise students with the medieval world picture of Dante and his contemporaries. It will present Dante's own political, poetic and philosophical outlook and then proceed, by a study of selected cantos, to a detailed analysis of how these ideas are given poetic expression in the Inferno.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will:
- have the knowledge and skills to paraphrase sections of Dante's Canti;
- critically analyze Dante's ideas and how they are conveyed in the Divine Comedy;
- discuss the principle themes of the Inferno within the historical and literary context of Dante's time;
- conduct research independently into secondary materials
1,500 word essay (40%), 2 detailed analyses of selected passages (500 words each) (30%), tutorial presentation linked to the essay (20%), and (10%) for preparation and active participation in tutorials.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
13 one-hour lectures; 13 tutorials and 7 seminars
Requisite and Incompatibility
To be advised
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.